Materials and Microsystems Laboratory
The Chilab - Materials and Microsystems Laboratory was founded in 1999 and it is managed by PoliTO. This facility has well-established technological and fundamental competences in the growth, characterization and processing of materials at the micro and nano-scale, technological transfer and education.
The activity of the Lab deals with fundamental research in material science, processes for micro and nanotechnology and power electronics, design and fabrication of silicon and polymer based microsystems, microsensors and Lab-On-a-Chip. We develop new materials and processes for MEMS, micro- and nano-structures and devices to target different application fields, such as biomedical, industrial, agri-food, environmental monitoring, energy and electronics.
At Chilab we perform the following specific activities:
- Structural morphological characterizations of materials and devices using profilometry, electron microscopy, EDX, XPS, microFTIR, microRaman, contact angle
- Etching tests of electronic / MEMS materials using wet and dry processes
- Deposition of metal, dielectric and alloy thin films by CVD, PVD and electroplating
- Deposition / transfer on 2D material devices (graphene)
- Thermal treatment tests of materials / devices in high temperature ovens and RTA treatments
- Laser micromachining tests (marking, cutting, engraving, graphitization, ...) on materials and devices
- Characterization of solar cells under AM1 - AM1.5 conditions
- Surface structuring and modification of materials properties
- Creation of models for packaging and other applications using 3D polymer printing
- Photolithographic transfer tests of device layouts also in double-side mode
- Processing tests of elastomeric and thermoplastic materials by hot-embossing, in-situ casting and electrospinning
- Tests and characterizations on piezoelectric materials
The Chilab is located in Chivasso, at about 40 minutes from Torino (Google link)
The research activities are performed in collaboration with several Industrial Partners and Academic Institutions. Over the years the Group has strengthened a scientific and technological Network involving several Institutions, both public and private. Common effort is to establish a profitable convergence in the domain of micro and nanotechnologies and related application fields. Through the Network, complementary shared facilities and expertise are available. The other players belonging to the Partnership Network are:
- MICROLA OPTOELECTRONICS, a spin-off of Politecnico di Torino with expertise in the field of optoelectronics, customization of laser systems, laser-assisted processes and micromachining, electronic interfaces and automation.
- The Institute of Materials for Electronics and Magnetism (IMEM) of the italian National Research Council (CNR) which in 2010 opened an operative site at the DISAT Department of Politecnico di Torino, sharing personnel and research activities.
- The Center for Sustainable Futures of the Italian Institute of Technology (CSF-IIT@PoliTo), a private Foundation jointly established by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research and the Ministry of Economy and Finance to promote excellence in basic and applied research.
- The "Nanofacility Piemonte Laboratory", located at INRIM (Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca Metrologica) and supported by "Compagnia di San Paolo". This facility is dedicated to nano-fabrication and characterization of materials and devices and it is shared by INRIM, PoliTo and UniTo.